Financial Assistance

Violent crime can have both short-term and long-term financial impacts. In the short term, you may have lost wages, have medical bills, funeral and burial expenses, as well as costs for added security measures. In the long-term, if the crime significantly disrupts your schooling or employment, the costs may grow.

To locate crime-related financial help, you can call MOVA Monday through Friday from 9AM-5PM at (844)-878-MOVA (6682).

Key government resources:

The Victim Compensation and Assistance Division of the Massachusetts Attorney General's Office may be able to provide financial assistance to eligible victims of violent crime for uninsured medical and dental care, mental health counseling, funeral and burial costs, and income lost due to the inability to work.

The Victim Compensation Program uses funds obtained primarily from offenders, and can assist you with expenses up to a maximum of $25,000 per crime or $50,000 per crime for cases in which you sustained catastrophic injuries. Staff assist you in understanding your rights as a crime victim, determining what expenses may be eligible for compensation, and assessing other available resources. Please note that victim compensation funds are funds of last resort and are to be rewarded only after all other forms of assistance have been exhausted. You may contact the Victim Compensation Staff within the Office of the Attorney General directly.

More about the Victim Compensation and Assistance Program or contact their victim services staff at: Phone: (617) 727-2200 ext. 2160 Fax: (617) 742-6262

A range of government benefits are available to all U.S. residents who meet certain income and citizenship eligibility requirements. These benefits are not specifically for crime victims.

Massachusetts Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Help residents purchase nutritious food.

Massachusetts School Breakfast and Lunch Programs The School Breakfast Program and the National School Lunch Program provide funding that enables schools to offer nutritious breakfasts and lunches to students each day.

Massachusetts Special Milk Program (SMP) provides milk to children in schools and childcare institutions that do not participate in other Federal child nutrition meal service programs.

Massachusetts Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) provides supplemental foods, nutrition education and referrals to health care, at no cost, to low-income pregnant, breastfeeding and postpartum women, infants, and children up to age five who are determined to be at nutritional risk.

Massachusetts Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) serves nutritious meals to children when the National School Lunch and the School Breakfast Program meals are not available.

Massachusetts Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) provides help to eligible households to pay winter heating bills.

Massachusetts MassHealth-Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) Some basic rules apply to receive MassHealth under CHIP. Even if you or your family already has health insurance, you may be eligible if your family's income is low or medium.

Massachusetts MassHealth (Medicaid) pays for health care for certain low and medium income people living in Massachusetts. MassHealth offers healthcare benefits directly or by paying part or all of your health-insurance premiums.

Massachusetts Unemployment Insurance Unemployment insurance benefits provide temporary financial assistance to workers unemployed through no fault of their own that meet Massachusetts' eligibility requirements.

Massachusetts Head Start is a Federal program that promotes school readiness for children up to age five from low-income families by enhancing their cognitive, social, and emotional development.

Massachusetts Transitional Aid to Families with Dependent Children Program provides temporary cash assistance and supportive services to children, individuals, and their families.

Learn more about all Federal and state benefits at:

Find out if you are eligible apply for benefits at: Additional resources and eligibility calculators at: